Monday 21 October 2013

More genuine?

After discovering that my previous questions were not ones that could be answered through investigation I decided to rethink and mull over them to see where I'd exactly gone wrong.
My adviser Alan, helped me a lot with this, pinpointing how a question could be rephrased to become more genuine and therefore hopefully invoking answers that are also genuine and informative.

From toying around with my previous questions, I am beginning to realise that I find it quite difficult to ask genuinely concrete questions.
I have only put three below as I am very wary of slipping back into my old habit.
Even now I am unsure if the third question is phrased well enough or whether it will just gain nothing but a yes or no answer.
I am extremely interested in how we can encourage motivation but at the same time still maintain discipline within a class so that is why I have left the question in.


1) What do teachers say about the approaches that they find most effective in teaching dance to teenagers aged 12-15?

2) What do teachers say about the approaches that they find most effective in teaching dance to teenagers aged 15-18? Are there different ways more effective than that when teaching the 12-15 class?


3) Do teachers find that they can still maintain discipline within a class when taking a relaxed, friendly approach to encourage teenage students?


After looking at the third question again maybe a more accurate way to put it would be:


What way have teachers found to approach teenage students that is both encouraging and inspiring motivation but at the same time keeping discipline within a class?


What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. Its interesting isn't it, just rewording the basic questions can trigger a whole different set of responses. I haven't yet had any feedback from Alan on my first questions, so I shall be interested to see what he says. I think you could combine both of your versions of question 3 to read something along the line of " How can teachers approach teaching teenagers in a friendly relaxed way to encourage motivation and inspiration, yet still maintain the discipline within the class?" Just a thought!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kym :) I know exactly! I find it extremely difficult to word a question. I know what I want to ask in my head, but nobody else does, so if I don't word the question correctly I could end up getting an answer to a question that I never actually wanted or a question that is not really a question at all and more like a statement of what I already think.

    ReplyDelete