Wednesday 30 October 2013

Helpful Words

I have started doing some research around my questions to find out what other people say on the topic of teaching dance to teenagers.

I came across an article (Tips On Teaching A Teenager To Dance, By Michael Maling) which quotes the description from a teenage girl on what qualities she would like from a dance teacher.
I think this is excellent as it comes straight from the horses mouth. The list below maybe things that I already know and that other teachers on this course already know, but the fact that it comes from a teenage student makes it all the more important to take on board.
I have highlighted number 4 as this is something that I tend not to appreciate enough.

1. A teachers who yells is a no no. She wants somebody who can have fun and be serious.  

2. She wants somebody nice, but that can also push her to her limit in class.  

3. She doesn't want a difficult warm up if she is a beginner.  

4. She wants to progress in stretches such as splits, then she will feel that she has achieved something.  

5. She likes to do something fun at the end of class, like her favorite move or dance.  

6. Use modern and fun music. (I think this applies to modern and hip hop)

No comments:

Post a Comment