Sunday 3 November 2013

My Thoughts on Ethics

As a dance teacher and performer I encounter many different types of people and there are various moral codes/ethics which I have to abide by for each specific type of person. I have broken down the different types of people below and discussed what ethical criteria I think are involved with each of them.



Colleagues (performers and dance teachers)

  • Ensure I maintain positive relationships
  • Respect and value their position - I find that a lot of other teachers may teach certain things differently or have their own methods of teaching which I may not entirely agree on, but I believe a variety of different teaching methods are good for the student and I respect other teachers opinions.



Students (children, teens and adults)

  • Duty of care to the children, teenagers - When parents drop their children off to dance class, for that 1 hour or however long the class is I am responsible for their children and they are trusting in me to act in a way which will keep them safe.
  • Good role model for students - I must be aware that children are very susceptible and that I am not only teaching them dance but also what's right and wrong and I must be somebody that they can look up to and see as a good role model.
  • Promote positive social attitudes - A lot of students come to dance class not just to learn dance but also to have fun and make friends. By including games and time to work on group projects such as improvisation, this builds confidence and encourages students to socalise and interact.
  • Treat each student equally 
  • Promote healthy lifestyle (e.g. exercise)
  • Teaching to the best of my knowledge - It is my responsibility to keep up to date with the IDTA syllabus that I teach to ensure that I am still abiding by the correct work for grading and also that I am aware of changes and new rules.
  • Ensuring I have necessary documents - I need to ensure that I keep up to date with a CRB and also that I have insurance to teach.
  • Providing a safe environment to work in - Ensuring that the venue is a suitable place to dance in, such as no debris on the floor, that the floor isn't slippy, no stray cables, etc, or anything that could cause harm to a child.



Customers (audience, children’s parents & hall landlord)

  • Performing to the best of my ability - When people buy tickets for a show they expect to see a good performance, so I always ensure that I perform to the best of my ability.
  • Respecting the parents of the children I teach, if they have any specific wants and ideas for their child - When parent's first bring their children to class I like to get an idea of what they would like out of the class and if they have any specific goals so that I can try my best to keep them and the children happy.
  • Keeping customer’s information confidential - It is necessary for me to have certain information from every customer so I must be careful to respect and keep this information confidential.
  • Treating the hall / equipment with respect

No comments:

Post a Comment