Friday 15 November 2013

How does what I've discovered fit in with the ethics of professional inquiry?

I feel that I have come a long way from when I was asked to write about my idea on ethics, to discovering what professionals/companies say about ethics and then learning what the reader says on ethics.

Now after reading through other peoples blogs and through discussions via the SIG, I have gathered a lot of information as to why it is important to be aware of the ethics involved while carrying out an inquiry.

Firstly, I must stay true to my line of inquiry. The set of questions I've put together are for me to discover, so I mustn't try to persuade or guide the interviewee to answers that I want to hear.

To back up this thought the reader quotes from Oliver, P. (2003) The students guide to research ethics:

For instance handing out questionnaires on the street will have minimal impact on participants. However, doing a qualitative interview with an elderly person will take a longer time and could involve becoming friendly with them. What impact does this have on the elder at the end of the process and the withdrawal of the researcher?

I must also include and take in to account all information gathered even if it doesn't fit in with the rest of my research .This way my results will be honest and genuine.

The reader quotes from May, T. (2001) Social research: issues, methods and processes:

There is duty on the researcher to present findings as accurately as possible. The data should represent the views and attitudes of the participants and not necessarily of the researcher. Sometimes there is the urge to include a quote for its shock value but if it going against the general trend, then this should be reported as well.  

Secondly, it is important that I respect and protect all the information gathered through inquiry. I must inform people of why I am doing the inquiry and where the information will go before I start asking my questions. I must also use the information gathered for this course only and not for any other reasons.

Below are the data protection principals from the Information Commissioner's Office website (www.ico.co.uk):

  1. Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully and, in particular, shall not be processed unless –

    (a) at least one of the conditions in Schedule 2 is met, and

    (b) in the case of sensitive personal data, at least one of the conditions in Schedule 3 is also met.
  2. Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.
  3. Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.
  4. Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.
  5. Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
  6. Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under this Act.
  7. Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.
  8. Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.


I must stay focused on my line of inquiry. I should never ask questions that are not relevant to the inquiry.

I should inform the interviewee of the purpose of my inquiry so they are aware of where the information that is gathered will be going.

The British Educational Research Association (BERA) mention the responsibility of the researcher:

To ensure the honest and respectful treatment of research participants, by informing them of the purpose of the study and by adhering to the guidance requirements (e.g. on consent and confidentiality), and at all times ensuring their safety and well-being vis-a-vis the research procedure, equipment and premises 

Lastly, but something that would need to be considered first, I must choose the candidates for my inquiry wisely. There must be reasoning behind my decision, be it their profession, experience, career, etc, to ensure that my findings are accurate and have quality value.


No comments:

Post a Comment