Monday 24 March 2014

Getting the Buggers to Behave 2...a short review.


The teacher from my first interview lent me a book which she thought I might find useful for my inquiry as it had helped her discover new teaching methods to use within the classroom.

The book is by Sue Cowley and it is aptly named, Getting The Buggers To Behave 2, an updated second edition of the successful Getting The Buggers To Behave, with new chapters on behaviour management.
Cowley is the author of numerous educational books which include the above, along with The Guerilla Guide to Teaching. Cowley has taught children of all ages and at all levels.

The book is really easy to read and I found it just as easy to apply the methods to my own teaching almost straight away.

There are chapters in the book that would be useful when teaching younger children but as my inquiry is focused around teaching teenagers I have only took out the sections that will be useful for me now in the investigation.
I used the techniques that Cowley suggests in my Monday classes last week.This was at the stage school where I teach ballet and contemporary to students around 12-18. I was astounded, pleased and very proud at the end of the evening to have realised I had applied the techniques well enough to have received successful results.

I have took out a section from the book below which are the Control Techniques that Cowley suggests are the core to keeping good classroom management. The fundamental element is remaining calm and consistent.

·         Wait for silence
·         Always be polite
·         Avoid confrontation
·         React from the head
·         Use the deadly stare
·         Use non-verbal signals
·         Control your voice
·         Use repetition
·         Personalise your teaching
·         Know when to be flexible
·         Set the boundaries
·         Set them targets
·         Give them ‘the choice’
·         Intervene early
·         Remove the problem

I'm not claiming to have successfully achieved all the bullet points above but what I did do was remain calm and in control throughout the classes. I also kept the word CONSISTENCY at the forefront of my mind as through reading the book I have learnt that teenagers respond and learn much better when faced with consistent behaviour.

I also focused on the tips below that Cowley explains in the Basic Behaviour Management chapter of the book.

Be definite – ‘I know what I want’
Be aware – ‘I know what will happen if I don’t get what I want’
Be calm and consistent – ‘I’m always polite and fair to you’
Give them structure – ‘I know where we’re going’
Be positive - 'You're doing great'

I think this book is a great guide for me in teaching but I am not going to be naive in thinking that I have read and learnt all I need to. I am going to further my reading on the topic of teenagers, teaching, dance, motivation, disciplining and any other areas that are linked with these and see if what I learn ties in with what I discover in my observations and interviews with other teachers.








No comments:

Post a Comment