Thursday 6 March 2014

Inquiry Advice

About a week ago, I had a phone conversation with my adviser, Alan, and we discussed how I should progress with my inquiry.

The first point that was made clear to me was the question of how many interviews and observations I should plan to do in my inquiry. I had written in my summary a few days previous to our discussion that I planned to conduct 3-4 interviews and observe 3-4 dance classes. I chose this number of interviews/observations as I didn't want to limit the time I would need for analysing.
Alongside this though, I was hesitant and questioning whether 3-4 interviews/observations would actually give me enough data to work with to draw out valuable and well researched findings.
I discussed this with Alan and he suggested that I should aim to carry out 4-5 interviews/observations as this would hopefully provide me with a substantial amount of data to work with and still allow me enough time to analyse.

My second question was regarding how I would be able to obtain parents consent for all the students from each class I would be observing. Alan came up with the idea of writing up an information slip to hand out to each student.
The slip will briefly explain my inquiry and my aims, pointing out that I would have no affect on the class whatsoever and that I was there just to observe. I will also highlight the fact that all information gathered would be confidential. At the end of the paragraph I will put my contact number so if there are any questions/issues then they could discuss this with me.
This information slip idea seems to me to be a feasible way of obtaining parents consent.
I plan to write out this information slip within the next week before my first observation and I will send this to Alan to read and check through to see if I have missed out any important points.

I plan to record the information I gather during interviews and observations by writing down notes. Alan has advised that I should also audio record the interviews as it will be much easier for me to refer to at a later date when analysing and also allow me to site much more accurately.

The above sections I have highlighted for ease of read for anyone else who plan on interviewing/observing and have similar issues - I hope this helps!
All the above I find extremely useful and has enabled me to continue with my inquiry feeling that I am steadily becoming much more organised and prepared and also following an ethical plan.


I am very pleased with the grading I was awarded with for Module 2 but I would still like to keep on pressing further and aim for better results. I asked Alan how I could progress with the module with this ambition in mind. I have quoted Alan's comments below so that I can be reminded by these each time I come to my blog but also because this may help others in a similar position to me on this course.

Work Systematically, follow a design.
Explore all possible, don't accept the first explanation.
Consider alternative explanations.
What level of assurance should we have in any finding? 
 Stay with the question.







No comments:

Post a Comment