Tuesday 22 April 2014

Literature on Dance Related Injuries


Part of my inquiry covers the development of the teenage body and how teachers account for this in the dance class.

A few weeks ago when searching out literature to support my inquiry I came across a page on the Nationwide Children's Website which reported a study by the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital.

The study shows that 4 out of 10 dancers who are injured are between the age of 15 and 19. Warming up, stretching, applying correct technique and keeping well hydrated are considered to be positive ways to help avoid injury.
One of my questions that I asked teachers in the interview brought about a recurring theme on dance injuries and how careful you have to be, particularly when teaching teenagers. This study ties in nicely with my inquiry and is very informative and supports what I've discovered so far.

If others find this useful, I have copied the study finds in this blog but please click the link below to find out further information from their website.

http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/dance-injuries-by-the-numbers



No comments:

Post a Comment