Monday 25 February 2013

A week at Rossett Dance

I have been very busy the past few days. I started running my dance academy, Rossett Dance, in August 2012 and it has been growing and expanding successfully ever since. Due to this success, from starting out just being open for classes once a week I am now running classes every Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.

One of the classes had got to the stage where it was bursting at the seams. This class was for ages 2-8 and I felt that the ones who were nearer the age of 6 and who had been with me for a while were ready to start being pushed a little more and could go onto learning exam work, but as there were really young ones in the class who hadn't been dancing very long then this prevented me from being able to teach the kids at their personal standard and capability. This was why I decided to split the class into two seperate groups according to age and ability.
I let the parents know of my plans and which class their child was to be in. All the parents seemed happy at my decision to split the class...it was picking a day and time to suit everyone that proved to be quite difficult!
So over the last few days I have been sending out emails to parents and making personal phone calls to just try and arrange a day and a time. I wanted to make everyone happy and not lose any of my students in the process of this changeover...I was beginning to wonder if I was asking too much!
But after messages going back and forth I think we have finally done it! I can breathe a sigh of relief!

In running my own business it is not only the enjoyment I get from teaching dance that I love, but also the challenges I come across in the social aspect of it all.
I have to run a class that my students love attending, which makes them want to come back week after week, but I also need to make the parents happy. At the end of the day it is the parents who decide what they would like their children to be involved in.
If the parents arn't happy then they wont bring their kids to the class.
It is all about people management, understanding each individual and being able to say the right things.
Never argue....a parent/customer is always right!

Now I am trying to arrange an Easter Event for the end of March where each class will be performing a short dance for which all parents, family and friends are invited to watch. I hope to pick a date that everyone can attend. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck Carla! Many of the services provided within dance schools are very important to both students and parents. Many allude to organising these events - but the skillsets to do so are not always what people talk about - any hints? any sources to share? As always - I now google topics as soon as I think of them...Found these - and as the library induction showed - sources should be looked at according to expertise and point of view - http://www.shredsandpatches.org.uk/orgdan.html
    http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4102.0Main+Features40Jun+2012
    http://dance.lovetoknow.com/Free_Dance_School_Marketing_Ideas
    http://www.indiaparenting.com/preschools-and-nurseries/398_3756/preparing-your-child-for-first-stage-performance.html

    might want to take these ideas further on Summon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula! I have just had a read through of all those links to different websites on the topic. Free Dance School Marketing and Preparing a Child for their First Performance was interesting and informative. The ideas for advertising the school are similar to what I do already which is encouraging to know I'm doing the right thing. One of their ideas though to advertise was through a cake sale or car wash..this I found a little bit confusing as neither of these activities have anything to do with dancing! I would think that to sell your dance school in the best light is by showing what it is you do! Nevertheless, this may have worked for other schools so I won't dismiss it completely. I think maybe further thought is required.
    The tips on how to prepare a child for their first performance on stage hit home one word to me...CONFIDENCE!
    A lot of kids between the age of 2-8 I find don't struggle with lack of confidence at all...they don't know the meaning or the feeling of confidence, they are just content at doing something fun and social with all their other friends, getting to dress up in costumes and show Mummy and Daddy is all very exciting for them, there isn't any worry at all so without knowing it, they exceed confidence.
    That is the majority, but there are 1 or 2 in my class who are quite the opposite. These I find are usually the more grown up children. They are very aware that they will have to remember a routine and that they will have to perform this, probably without the teachers help, in front of an audience which will include family and people they know. They become very nervous that this is going to become a disaster for them. These are the children that I have to work with on building their confidence although ironically they are usually the ones who know the dance better than anyone else in the class.
    The website talked about being supportive and encouraging during rehearsals. I think it is extremely important to give sufficient praise and acknowledgment when kids are doing something well but also maybe when things arn't going so well!
    I do get a little worried when organising an event such as this as I want the kids to look good. This is an oportunity to show parents that it has been worth their while bringing their kids to the school, that the fees they pay are for good training. I try not to let my worries affect my teaching. I remind myself that it will be praise and encouragement that will save the day. A positive word of praise will encourage confidence in a child or the group as a whole, the class will become much happier and willing to learn. This positiveness every lesson will help in making their first performance successful. Once they are dressed in a colourful tutu with hair done up like a proper ballerina they are ready to shine and show what they can do.
    I have decided to write a few top ten tips myself on the topic of organising an event and teaching which I will be posting on my blog shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla - good to see you looking at this sources and developing your thinking. Description here is also useful to what you are saying - the reader can picture what you are saying - continue to use sources and cite them were appropriate using the Harvard style and even add a brief bibliography or link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Carla! Just wanted to say that I totally know what you mean about people management! The ideas that you have for classes etc are only one aspect of the business. Actually making it fit around everyone's schedules is that hard part!

    ReplyDelete